Thursday 28 June 2012

A deep moment and a silly shampoo story...


So I'm currently sitting in Spoons scrounging off the free internet, our house is still not connected up, and won’t be until the 20th July (apparently not having a landline makes these kind of things slightly difficult...) - I get internet on my phone, but its rather slow and very small, which makes it good for checking my Facebook and that’s about it...

I feel like I should be doing something productive with my time on the internet...

Like checking my online banking....

Or checking my Uni emails...

Or looking at what books I need to buy for second year (oooft...)

Buuuuut, I can't be bothered quite frankly, so instead I thought I would do a bit of blogging as well....It’s one of those slightly spontaneous blogs, so please...bear with me ;)

Being off Uni has meant I have been able to take on more weekday shifts at the Drug that is Super, which is fine with me...all dandy. What I have noticed about weekdays is the difference in customers, weekends are normally full of families and preteens who are loud and test things they aren't going to buy, but weekdays seem to be mums and babies and the elderly. I've noticed with the elderly customers you get the different types, you get the happy, rosy-cheeked smiley little elderly ladies, and you get the not so patient ones who snap at you when you ask them questions that you would get in trouble if you were to be overheard by a secret shopper NOT asking; but then you get the ones you can tell are struggling, the ones who you have to help carefully count out their change, and explain things to, the ones who chat to you in a way that suggests they won’t be talking to many more people that day...who stand and chatter away to you despite the fact there is a queue of mildly impatient shoppers building up behind them.

Although it's sometimes challenging, I'm very aware of myself in making sure I smile and take interest in what they say, make conversation with them and helping them as much as I can...which to be honest always comes down to a case of 'What if...' and putting things into perspective. It’s a scary fact that no one is getting any younger that's just life, it's the way it's always been and it's the way it will always be...but what if that elderly lady was my nan? I would hate to think that in the upcoming years, once my grandparents are a bit older, that they would go somewhere and not be helped, or to be frowned upon, or seen as a nuisance...not because they are doing anything wrong, but just because they need a bit more assistance, or understanding, or help when they don't understand things...or on an even bigger scale, putting MYSELF into that position, if something was to happen (god forbid) that I would end up in a situation as an elderly lady, where I no longer had any family around me and was alone - I would hope that there would be people out there, even if it was just someone in a shop, who would reply to my conversations, or help me out if I struggled, just to show that there are people out there to make you feel just that bit less alone...

I then go on to think that that day will come sooner than I think, hopefully I will be married with kids and grandkids and even great-grandkids all around me when I reach that stage...But life is going so so quickly, I think we do have the habit of wishing it away, I remember being in nursery and then excited about big school...and then you leave 'big school' and start secondary school...and then you want to be sixteen so you can have prom, and then you want to be eighteen so you can go out, then you want to be twenty one so you can finish Uni...and then you daydream on about marriage and kids...and each time you hit that milestone you are already wishing on for the next one so that the next big event can occur. And eventually, that will keep happening...forgetting to live in the moment because you are too busy thinking on to the next. That’s why I’m determined to smile at every elderly customer who comes in, to help them and not be impatient - because that will be me one day - and until I reach that age, I'm just going to live each moment and a time and enjoy the highs and lows its brings, because let’s be honest.at 19 I’m getting on a bit ;)

Phewww...Wow. Okay deep stuff mayunnnn!...Here's a silly story just to get over the deepness of the last few minutes...(well about 25 minutes typing time for me, about 2 minutes reading time for you guys haha...)

So silly story...

The other day at the Drug that is Super I was facing up the Hair aisle, when I dropped a bottle of dry shampoo, both the lid and the bit you press down (lets called it the sprayer for ease of typing) fell off and rolled out of sight...I picked the dry shampoo up without the sprayer on it and it was fizzing in a slightly terrifying manner, so I did what you do and left it on the fragrance counter out of the way and not near me in case it randomly blew up or something (serves me right.......)...

Fifteen minutes later I went back to it and it was still fizzing so I went to put it out back, on my way I found the sprayer on the floor, so I did what I thought was the sensible thing and screwed it back on...what I hadn't realised was the fizzing was (obviously) the gas escaping so as soon as I screwed the sprayer back on....PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHT.....

Those of you who have used dry shampoo will know that it settles as a white powder.....

PPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHT.....

The thing went fricking mental; I was standing in the middle of shop floor with dry shampoo spraying out at a ridiculous I-aint-stopping-for-no-one kind of speed....despite the fact I wasn't even pressing the sprayer down..It was at this point of Holy-cow-this-thing-aint-stopping... I started panicking and dancing around with it in my hands....

"Tasmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!!" (That was a cry of despair from my manager as I rapidly began polluting the whole shop...)



PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHT

"Tasmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"I caaaaaaaaaaaaant stop ittttttttttttt!!!!!!!"

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHT
"It woooooont stooooooooooop owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!"

PHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHT
It was then I made the biiig mistake of putting my hand over it to try and stop it (Or at least cover it) before customers began being gassed out...you know that split second pain when you spray deodorant too close and it burns like a bitch? It was that - but it lasted a few seconds...yeah. Ouch. Luckily at that moment a colleague came to my rescue and chucked it into a carrier bag still PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHT'ing away....

After a few moments of shocked silence from all parties involved...It was then...as I was standing there with white powder all over the floor, my top, my skirt, my shoes (anywhere but my hair ironically) sucking on my 'freeze-burnt' hand (see below....) slightly hysterical that my manager turned to the new girl (who had earlier been told "This is Tasmin, I won’t tell you what she's like, you'll soon see for yourself" and who was watching the whole thing looking mildly shocked...) and said "...and this is Tasmin......."

Ladies and Gentlemen...welcome to my life...



Loves

xx

7 comments:

  1. Ah Taz . . You've bought a tear to my eye and had me laughing out loud all within the space of 5 minutes! Lots of love, Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tas...! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my life XD So funny :P xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and very touching. Really does get to you when you think about it like that :( xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha Taz! ow poor hand! This reminds me of me in Budgens supermarket when I had the shopping basket handles hooked over the bugg with 2 bottles of pepsi, I yanked the basket off the buggy and something pierced the bottle and in sprayed everwhere, everyone was running around, it was ver sticky. (I thought these things only happened to me!!!)

    Aunty Jacqui xxxx ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha oh dear, nope it happens to me to :)
    Though we make a habit of these things, remember the classic falling in the sea incident when me, you, and lewis all ended up on the floor with that wave washing right over us whilst nan stood and watched the whole things in hysterics, hahahaha ;)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your such a great blog writer!! I love it (: I read your posts all the time

    ReplyDelete